Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Li-Wa / Fairbanks

Hey everyone,
What a weekend. For those that didn't know, the interns went up to Fairbanks to work at camp Li-Wa for their weekend Jr. High retreat. So let me throw up a map for you so you can see the route we took.













To give you an idea on the distance it is from "Home"(1) to Fairbanks(2), it is about a seven hour drive. It parallels the Alaskan Pipeline on and off the trip from Glenallen on up the Richardson Highway. With many lakes and snow topped mountains, the trip doesn't feel as long. But for a 5'11'' guy stuck in the back of a 16 passenger van, it becomes a long trip.
Li-Wa held a lot of unknowns. I have been there for a few days to capture some video and some photos for AV use. But that was all. Weekend retreats are new to me.
To start the event, we had a little intro for us interns. With three of us holding our hands behind our backs, and a partner with their hands acting as ours, we had to eat a pie as fast as we could. Being the only guy team, Micah and I decided to eat our pie delicately. So with knife and fork we started in slow. It tasted a little funny, so I spit it out and decided just to act like I fell asleep... into the pie. Pudding pie was flung all over, and as soon as it started, it was over. Soon I found out there was gravy in my pie.
My job was to help in the kitchen when help was needed, and anywhere else help was needed. I started the first morning helping with a scavenger hunt, but a foot injury redeveloped after tripping over a log. But I did get my face time in with campers. I got to connect with a few, and get to work with some AV stuff.












On Sunday, a few of us took off for Chena Hot Springs. A little hour drive northeast of camp. There a natural hot springs bubbled for the weary traveler that makes it there. My bad back and swollen foot thanked me for the two hour soaking in water that made me look like I had a sun burn.
While at Chena, Brian (intern leader), Micah and I had a run in with a gentleman that had issues with Christians. I don't want to go into much length over what occurred. I would like for you to remember the gentleman in prayer. Jesus still loves him, no mater what.
On the way back to Victory, we stopped to view Mount McKinley from the south. A beautiful site. I had seen it from Fairbanks (280 Miles). It dominated the landscape, and from the south side, it didn't look too big, and the pictures don't give it justice.












-Daryl J. Howard

Prayer Requests:
Funding
Camp Li-Wa (facilities are in a great need of improvement and some new buildings)
Gentleman at the hot springs
My back and foot


Next Edition:
Weekend retreats and BOWLING!

No comments:

Post a Comment