Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Transition Into Conference

The colors on the trees are turning from their summer green to fall yellows and oranges. It's not uncommon to put some wood in the stove to heat up the house for the night, then wake to temps in the 30's. Fall is starting in Alaska. It's hard to believe summer camp ended only a few weeks ago. Even with the campers gone, Victory has kept busy.

While counselors were finishing their last prayer and praise meeting, the planning for the first of many guest groups was starting. For me, it meant being in the hosting mindset. So while everyone reflected on the summer, my mind was on what needed to get ready for the group coming in. It wasn't until about a week ago that my body and mind caught up with the season. Sleeping for eleven hours straight was greatly needed.

Summer. Victory saw a little over 700 campers attend this summer. We tried some new formatting with the camps, and we saw the return of some AV elements in chapel. Personally for me, it was good to have an AV team beside me. It meant not getting burned out as fast, and allowed for the office work to get done and not pile up.

Conference. Now we are in conference season. Already I've hosted two groups, and done a ton of dishes, cleaning and set-up. Though exhausted, there is a renewed energy in serving others and connecting with them. After being able to pray over people, take care of needs and figure out some tricky situations, I was able to sit down by one of our firesides and sharpen an axe for a group. It was only 2pm and I was spent. But while sharpened the axe, I was overcome with joy through with all God had allowed me to do that day. People ask how we do ministry if we are not preaching the gospel directly to people who come on the property. As staff here are Victory, people put us under a microscope and watch us. Because of our ministry, our lives are a direct representation of Christ. That day was proof of how individual's observations and how we interact with others reflect who Christ is and what we stand for. It eventually leads to conversations that allows us to share the love and message of Christ.

Life outside camp. With conference in full swing, it is hard to find free time to practice for worship, let alone get wood for the cold days ahead. People think I'm crazy to use a day off or a half day to go into town and play three services at church. All I know is I may be physically tired when I get into church, but when I pick up the sticks and worship God on the drum-set, I'm overwhelmed with joy and strength. No matter if I had a sleepless night and hardly got any practice in, God chooses to use me to help lead others and gives me all I need to do so. So whenever anyone tries to praise me for playing, I can only point it back to God and share what He has done that day. It's a humbling experience.

In the next week or two I should have the next update letter out. It will recap the summer, what is going to happen this fall, and some other fun stuff. Sorry about posting much. Something I deeply regret. Can't wait to share more of what God is doing here.

Grace & Peace,
Daryl

No comments:

Post a Comment