Thursday, July 30, 2009

ITS OFFICIAL

As we are finishing up our last week of summer camp at Victory, the realization of "what is next" is hitting most counselors. Most are worn out, and others are read for more. Some will go back to college, and others, jobs. For a few of us, it is getting right back into the grind of things. Near the beginning of the summer, I was given the opportunity to try a different way to start life in ministry. Instead of going into full time ministry headfirst at Victory, why not go through the internship program here. I accepted the idea, applied, and now, I will be moving up to Alaska at the end of August. It is very soon, and for most, we saw this coming. There has been a lot of prayer behind this. I think a lot of my hesitation is doubt in financial support. But I believe this is where God is wanting me to be. Last night was a good reminder of that as I talked and prayed with various campers that I had as campers five years ago, and continue to see every year. I see the need for the development of a followup program that is trying to get started here.
The internship program is going to go from August 22nd-the end of next camp season. Each intern is going to learn what it takes to run a camp, not from the text book side of things, but from the hands on, work every part of the camp side. We will be given a chance to work every part of the camp, learn the responsibilities to those areas. These jobs range from working the front desk, the mechanics shop, the kitchen and more. The interns will also be developing programs and various activities that are going to be run throughout the off season of camp, but the conference centers on season.
As an intern, I won't have too many expenses. I will however have to raise support for what you might call the equivalent of tuition, and other various expenses that might come up. A requirement of $8,000 by the end of the term. My goal is to try to raise at least $12,000 to cover other various expenses sure as insurance, traveling, and other various expenses that might come up during the term. With the little time that I have home this fall, I plan on returning to the lower 48 on December 15h-Jan 5th to talk to anyone or any church that might be interested in supporting the work I will be doing, and/or to hear about the work being done at Victory.
If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at djhoward_est1985@hotmail.com.
If you know anyone the might be interested in supporting through prayer or financial means, feel free to pass this on. A more formal letter will be ready when the internship starts.
Thanks for all those that have kept me in your prayers over this decision and for those that supported me in the five summers that I have worked here at Victory. Thanks again.

God Bless,
Daryl J. Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment