Monday, November 28, 2011


Over the last seven summers of working at Victory, I’ve experienced working in many areas of camp. Everywhere from counseling and ministry team, to audio visual and summer leadership. In the summer before I started the internship, a friend on the AV team and I started working on doing some projects on the side. Most of them were figurative Victory theme designs. We also brainstormed over video concepts for advertising as well. During the internship I started doodling designs for camp shirts and working on putting together brochures. As time has progressed, I started doing more and more work on the promotional side of Victory. Three t-shirt design concepts, a few promotional videos, various brochures, a fair booth, and many miscellaneous projects later, God decided to point me further into this area of ministry.

It is interesting to see how many ministries are a step behind companies when it comes using new innovative means of promotion. Many do not have updated promotional material or the social networking tools to connect with it's supporters and potential guests. With technology and social networking getting more advanced every year, it is hard for ministries to keep updating and adapting to the changing of times. The cost to outsource is becoming too great of a cost to continually produce brochures, multimedia presentations, promotional material and website updates. This is where I come in. With all these mounting costs, I could see ways that the camp could produce much of this material in house. God has gifted me with the creative thinking and skills to produce much of this work. What started off as me assisting the camp in producing projects here and there to help with costs, has become a burden to work at the ministry full time in the area of promotions.

Before I left Victory this fall, I was approached by Victory Ministries CEO (Brian Headdings) and Victory Bible Camps Director (Joel Ruisch) about joining the ministry in the area of public relations. There was a lot of time spent in prayer over what the job entailed, who I would report to, and what other areas of camp I would assist with. In the end, everything fell into place. I was unsure on if this was the area God wanted me to be in. Through prayer and reading the Bible, God reassured me that this is where He wanted me.

Working in the public relations team means I will be assisting Victory in creating promotional material that will go out to supporters and churches. This entails making videos, update social networking sites, designing brochures, assisting the summer AV team, and more. All of this is to help keep everyone in the loop as to what we are doing at Victory and how they can be a part of it. 

Like many of the individuals working at Victory, I will be raising support before I can officially start at Victory. I am to raise $30,000 toward my yearly mission salary. That is a break down on $2,500 a month in dedicated monthly supporters, or gifts. I’m not looking for people to give just for the sake of giving or seeing me work in Alaska. When someone is giving to support anyone working at Victory, they are just as much a part of the ministry as anyone else there. You are helping in Victory’s vision of connecting people of all ages with God through the ministry of Christian camping and conference retreats. If there is any interest at all (or even none at all), I ask that you prayfully consider how God can use you in this ministry. If you are to give, God will lead you to that.

I know this has been a long update. But I thank you for sticking it through and reading this. Take some time today and pray that God lead individuals that will help support me as I seek to work at Victory, as well as praying for the ministry and other families and individuals raising support as well. Thanks again.

Grace and Peace,
Daryl J. Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment