Monday, April 16, 2012

Q&A Part 6

Hello everyone! What an amazing Monday. Here in PA it is in the high 70's with a great breeze coming in the window that I am sitting next to. With this day comes another Q&A. This is the last one for the time being. I hope you have enjoyed them so far. This one takes a look into what keeps bringing me back to Victory, and some other fun questions. So here we go...


What keeps you coming back to serve another term at Victory?
It is finally hitting me that I won’t be returning to Victory this summer. But what kept me coming back for the seven summers that I have spent at Victory? It has to be servicing others and watching the impact Victory is making on people. But I want to take summer out of the picture and focus on the ministry as a whole.
Before summer really gets going, there is a time that is called “Outdoor Ed.” Schools bring their groups in and use the facility to teach the students about the outdoors. This is an amazing time to serve. I always came early to camp to help setup. And because of that, I always got put on rock-wall and dish duty. You may think, “uh, dishes. why come early to camp to do that?” Hahaha. I am not sure. I love being able to interact with the kids that come to camp, and show them another side of camp. Plus, the kids I know introduce their friends. This opens the door to encourage and interact with their friends, and to open the door for them to want to return for a week or two during the summer.
But for the summer, I love being able to pour myself out to the kids. To reach out, not in a “YOU SHALL DO THIS” way, but in a caring way. We care about them and what they are going through. I may not be directly working with the campers every hour of the day. But with what little interaction I have, I hope to show them the love of Christ through how I live. This is also true of the school groups that come in. I want to be able to reflect the love of Christ through my daily tasks and instructions that I do with them.
Then there are the staff. I guess it started in college. As I worked with guys a few years younger than me, and the freshman coming into college, I wanted to help them through the daily struggles that I faced when I first entered college. I may have been the RA, but I still wanted to be the guy they could go to for advice or to help keep them accountable. This is true about camp. I may have been a director, but I loved to sit over coffee and just talk. To actually listen and show I care about what they are struggling with and to pour myself, and Christ, into them. It may be just a quick “hey...,” or even stepping aside to pray. Sometimes I don’t get to do this. And other times I get caught up in my own issues to reach out. But when I can reach out, I love doing it. I believe that is what keeps bringing me back. That and seeing people I have worked with as campers working beside me on staff. Seeing how God has continued to use me to reach out.


What is your biggest struggle that you are facing as you are raising support?
There are a few factors holding back support from coming in. The biggest struggle is satan trying to take me out. With various issues that arise (whether technical, death in the family, etc.), satan tries to use them to put me in a rut. This happened. I’m just starting to gain momentum again. But there are a lot of small things that get in the way. I can’t go into detail on all of them, but there are a lot. The greatest thing anyone can do is pray for me. Satan is always trying to pull me down. Every day is a trial in making sure I am keeping on task. Now that I know my weak points, God has been showing how to fix them and keep myself from getting caught in a rut again.


If you are not going to be at Victory this summer, what plans do you have for this summer?
Summer is right around the corner. But so is the fall. I’m not sure how fast support will come in, but I am shooting for returning by the Alaska State Fair in September. Victory really needs help with that. It would be really cool to be able to return for that, and start to get settled in with the conference season.
As for the summer. I don’t have really any special plans. For entertainment, go to a few B-Mets games (Binghamton Mets = farm team for the NY Mets). Plus visit my grandmother a few times. But most of all, I want to really dig into support raising. It would be really cool to see doors open up, not just in this area, but in other areas outside of where I live open up for me to share. All of this, and survive the summer here in PA. I’ve spent seven summers in Alaska. Not sure how I am going to handle the heat.


Is there any advice you would give anyone when it comes to summer camping ministry?
Never say you won’t do anything, because sometimes God will make you do it. I tried quitting videography... He put me back in it. Be open to what God will do. You may not want to do things at first, but God will use them to open doors and help you grow. I mentioned it in another Q&A. I was assigned to go work at Ranch camp as a counselor. It wasn’t on my agenda. But it was on God’s agenda. You never know what He is going to do through you. Also... (this is one from a behind the scenes perspective) remember, you are there for the campers. You will have time on the weekends or breaks to be with the other staff. Pour yourselves out to the campers. If you don’t, you are short-changing the campers, and most of all, yourself! There is so much you can do for the campers. But when you only focus on yourself, you will miss the opportunities that will be there to minister to the campers. 


What do you look forward to the most when you move?
The drive! I love the drive up. Not just because of the scenery. But because of the time I get to spend talking with God and enjoying His creation. I get to drive from Pennsylvania on up to Alaska. I cross rolling hills, plains, prairies, mountains, etc. It is just breath-taking. Then to be able to talk to God about what you are seeing and what you are thinking, it prepares you for the ministry time ahead. Sometimes I wish I could have a co-pilot. It would be cool to share the trip with a good friend. But I can say, the time alone with God is awesome.


Have you found anyone yet?
This questions has made for some funny comments, jokes and conversations. Its the topic of some fun harassment from friends and family. But the answer is... not yet. 
In all seriousness, these people don’t badger me just for a laugh (thou sometimes it is a good laugh). They are caring people who just want to see me happy, and have a better half that will help me in my ministry work. It is great how they are not just encouraging, but directing me in areas that I need to grow in. They have been a great support team. 


Well, there you have it. I hope these Q&As have shown you another side of the ministry work I have and will be doing, as well as a little look into my life. Continue to come back here for more updates events and news from Victory. Thanks for your continued support.

-Daryl

No comments:

Post a Comment