Saturday, March 17, 2012

PSA: Why I Won't Be At Victory This Summer


This is the situation. It is nothing bad. I am just filling in everyone to what is and has been going on. First off, support sits at a wavering 5%. What do I mean by that. There are a lot of people sending in gifts. That’s great. But what Victory is interested in, are dedicated monthly supports. Many people can’t give monthly, I understand. But even if it was $10-$20 a month, it adds up over a number of people. Until support is at 100%, I will not be returning to Victory. Not even for the summer. This was my decision. It was a hard one to make; seeing that I have put in seven summers at Victory. And since you are reading this, I want to explain more in depth of why I came to this decision.
In the fall of 2009, I went to Victory as an intern. It was a great experience. But when I returned home to raise support in December, there was much confusion. Because I had gone up to Victory for the previous five summers, people didn’t take me seriously when I put out the idea of me joining Victory full-time. They thought I was returning for just another summer. So I returned with little to no support.
Another issue that arouse then, and now, is the topic of “what is support?” Support in the way that Victory and I are trying to get across, is not a fundraiser here or there, or gifts to me. For support to go through legally and to be written off properly by IRS standards, support must be directed to Victory. Since I am working for Victory, I am raising support for Victory, not myself. The money will get to me, through a salary Victory has set. And as stated before, I can not start till the full support of $2,575 in dedicated monthly supporters is raised. This means individuals who are called to give a dedicated portion each month. It may sound a little complex. But this is the legal way in which this has to be done.
So the question you may have now is, when will I be returning to Victory. The goal is for me to return by the Alaska State Fair in September. It may sound crazy, and I am glad it does. My goal in all of this, is to point everything back to God. For any support to come in, or for me to return by September, it will be by the hand of God. The reason I am doing any of this, is to glorify God, use the gifts and talents He has given, and serve Him as He directs me. 
I hope this has been informative. If you still have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to talk to you in person or over the phone. Thanks for taking time to read this, and continue to pray that God will continue to raise up supporters. Also, pray to see if Victory is a ministry that God would want you to be a part of in either prayer, volunteering or financially support.

-Daryl J. Howard




P.S.- Sorry in advance to all of you that will be returning and wishing I was at Victory this summer. I am going to miss you all. May God bless your work as you serve this summer. And remember, I'll be back. Also, Camp won't stop running if I am not there for one summer. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. I know it was a tough decision Daryl but the Lord will work it out for your good in the long run! It will be worth it to your supporters to give up two Starbucks trips a month (that's not alot!) to invest in eternity and be an active part of what God is doing NOW in Alaska through your ministry at Victory! I know it's hard times but the Lord is not bound by economics. Don't let anyone discourage you by saying that economics will effect your ministry! Be faithful and diligent and watch the Lord do His thing! Anxious for you to sit at my kitchen table again, We love you. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete