Monday, March 26, 2012

Q&A Part 3


It's Monday! How about I lighten up your day by doing another Q&A. Here goes...

What exactly will you be doing at Victory?
The main position that I will be serving in is the area of Public Relations. This area is right on the front lines of getting the word out about Victory. In this position, I will be developing and designing many of Victory’s promotional materials. That means working on brochures, newsletter, promotional videos, and many various projects. I’ll also be working in the area of social media. Social media is giving ministries a great tool to reach out to people. And Victory has seen the need of using these tools. This means using Facebook, Twitter and other various online resources to connect to the people that Victory is reaching out to and the people that we have already been serving. Victory has also asked if I can assist with website needs, as well as keeping the website updated with photos and news.
As mentioned in a previous Q&A, I’ll be consulting the summer AV Team. With six summers in the AV Team, it will help with the summer to summer changes we have with each team we have in, as well as helping them with any needs they may have as they develop summer material. They’ll also be assisting me in gathering material that I can use for promotional material after the summer as well.
One last thing about PR, is that it is not cheap. It gets expensive to keep hiring out designers and going to the printers. By developing material in-house, and then exploring the options on printing, Victory will be able to cut back on the costs that come with promoting the camp and conference center. The area of public relations is vital for any ministry or business. Victory has seen the need to expand this area. If you were to look at our brochures, you will see that many are outdated. This is also true of the website and multiple promotional videos that Victory has. I’ve been able to help with updating some of the material. But there only so much I can do during the summers, or while I am here at home.
In the previous Q&A, I mentioned that I will be doing more than just public relations. For Victory to keep running and serving people, everyone assists with the day-to-day operations of camp. It means serving guests groups, moving hay, helping with emergency maintenance needs, and of course moving snow. The list is limitless. As long as there is a need at Victory, it is going to get filled by the people serving there. This even means making espresso drinks and busing tables.



Why do you believe God is sending you?
As seen with the answer above, public relations is an area that is greatly needed at Victory. At first, Public Relations wasn’t really the area I was looking to be a part of. I had been an intern looking to join Victory’s program team. Behind the scenes work is my cup of tea. It was fun planning for events, putting them together, then running them. But when I look back at what I did the most during that internship, a lot of what I did was design work and promotional work. I can’t say that I am the best at what I do, but if you know me, you know my mind thinks differently than the average person. But back to 2010.
After the internship at Victory, I went hope wondering what I was going to do next. Due to circumstances, I wasn’t planning on returning to Victory. Most of my gear was destroyed, and I had put video and promotional work behind me. In October of that year, I was invited to a meeting with a local ministry. Without anyone knowing my background at Victory, one of the main topics surrounding the meeting was who they should get to put together a promotional video. I had slumped down in my chair, just hoping no one knew of my video work. No one did! But it was as if God was grinding His elbow into my side. I knew I should speak up. They had no clue about anything involving a video or who to ask. I wanted to get sick, not because of what was being said, but because this is what God had called me to do, and He was going to have me do it. In the end, a video was made, and I was back to working on videos.
Victory invited me back to help with behind the scene work and help run the summer AV team. With this new found work in promotions, I was fired up. This was God’s calling, and He was directing me back to Alaska. If you were to look at a certain yellow legal pad on my desk this past summer, you would have seen a list of 16+ videos that came to my mind as I prayed and talked with various people around camp. There was also a list of brochures to update, and many other promotional material that could be created. This field is still new to me. But it is my calling. As long as I seek God for directions, everything works out. This is scene through the summer staff appreciation video. My previous efforts fell flat on their faces. But when I sought God, something amazing came out of it. (You can take a look at the video HERE!)



What is your favorite part of the week during camp?
The favorite part of the week for me (while campers are around), is down to two different things. Thursday campout nights is the first. I get to do more than just be in the office. I move luggage and food to the Alpine/Wilderness Campout. If I’m lucky, I get to help cook. For some reason, I love making food for a small to medium size group. I get to give people a break and serve them from another side of camp.
The second favorite part of the week (and you will all thing I’m strange), is getting up early and delivering breakfast to Ranch Camp. I don’t remember how long I’ve done this. But I get up, gather up breakfast and anything they will need to serve and consume the food. After sealing it all up, I put it in the back of an old chevy pick-up, and drive it on up to Ranch Camp. I love serving the staff and the campers there. I get to stand by and eat breakfast with them. Then talk to see how I can be encouraging or praying for them. It’s so simple, but so much fun. 
Ok, maybe there is another favorite part. ... There are too many. AHHH!
Alright, I’ll only mention one more. When we are in the office late at night, one of many things can happen. Most of the time, it is our cram and get creative time. AV Team shines late at night. But also, it is a great time of talking and encouraging. Many conversations over life, work, and struggles have come up. But also, there have been many unexpected moments that happen that just brighten up a day. Imagine. Your day has been one that makes you want to scream, then some co-workers come in and do THIS. You can’t help but laugh. That, or you find NINJA FRUIT! And the ever prevalent stickie-notes with encouraging messages on them.


Well, look at that. Another Q&A has come and gone. Hope you enjoyed it. Don't worry, there are plenty more. And if you submit questions, it will continue on even longer.

-Daryl

No comments:

Post a Comment