Monday, March 19, 2012

Q&A Part 2

Well, I've done it again. I've answered multiple questions that you have sent in. Don't worry, there are at least two more after this one. Got any more questions, feel free to send them.


PART 2
What kind of work have you been doing for VBC right now i.e. promo stuff even though you’re raising support? 
Along side support raising, I haven’t really been doing too much side work for Victory. I have been brainstorming and working on some promotional material, as well as working on a fun project for summer. Sometimes I wish there was more I could do. But I need to be focused on support raising.


What if you DID NOT got back to VBC, got a full-time job, and did promo stuff for them on the side?
The thought has come to my mind. Where Victory is located, it would be very hard to commute to the camp if I had a job in town. I’m not to keen on driving an hour one way to work. If I am to serve at Victory, it is going to be an on-site full-time position. It is something that God has called me to. And if I am there, I want my whole heart to be in it.
Along with that, when at Victory, I will not just be doing promotional work. Which leads to the next question:


Do you plan to help around Victory with more than just editing and taking promotional videos and the like?
When you are part of the team at Victory, you are more than just working area of camp. I touched on it in the promotional video I made for myself. Even though I will be working with the public relations team, I will be assisting in many other areas of camp. In the past I have helped host guest groups, cook meals, wash dishes, move snow, counseled campers, attended to maintenance needs, etc. etc. etc. There is so much that is done around camp. During the summer, I will be consulting the AV Team, as well as transporting campers to and from camp. 
There is so much that is done at camp than just the work done in ones area. I’ll get into a little more about what public relations entails, and why it is more than just editing and taking promotional videos. You’ll just have to wait for another Q&A.


What is one goal you wish to accomplish this year that would be different from the last several years you've been at camp?
Sadly, this summer I will not be returning to Victory. My goal is to be up in Alaska around the time of the State Fair. Once I get back, there is so much planned. The biggest goal, would be to start getting videos and brochures made. I also want to show the impact people supporting the camp are making. This would mean posting images and videos on projects that have been going on around camp. Many people don’t know we had the airstrip worked on this past summer. We also had the foundation of Ranch Lodge worked on another summer. If people saw all that was going, small projects that they have helped fund through donations, sending work teams, or praying; they would feel more of a part of the ministry. The other goal I would love to accomplish, is helping people understand our conference season. Many people I talk to at the fair did’t know about our conference season. It’s a huge opportunity that we are missing.


What is your favorite campfire meal?
*I contacted the individual sending this question, and it is completely open ended.
At Victory, there is only two real meals over a campfire. With those two meals is one overall question, which camp makes the best burger. There has been a great debate over this question: “Hick’s Creek Burger v. The Alpine Burger.” This debate can go on for a long time. Kind of like who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark. You can look at the seasonings people put on the burger. What cooking set-up they use. What toppings one puts on their burger. There is a lot of factors that you can look at to determine which is the best burger at a campfire cookout. But there is something bigger than that. The bigger question is, who makes the burger? If I had to pick which burger is the best, I would have to say, the one Aaron Meeuwsen makes. Period.
If it wasn’t a burger I had to choose, I have to say that the strawberry rhubarb concoction that I had this past summer was sweet. Eat it out of cup with whip-cream, put it on pancakes, or slap in a hobo pie. It was so simple, yet delicious. Props to Darvi on that one.
Overall, my favorite meal(s) over a campfire, have to be anything that Hopson Gowin made over the campfires on Boy Scout outings. Stone soup using stones from the Louisiana coast. Cajun deep-fried chicken. Keg chicken. Venison steaks. Cobbler (sorry, it beats Victory’s... I put it in the perspective of “my mom’s cooking is better than any other mom’s cooking”). Anything that man directed us to make over a fire or charcoal was by far the best ever. Then put a side of fresh field pick sweetcorn with it on Thursday cool outs. AMAZING!


Why do people think you should make coffee... that it is your spiritual gift? 
(Video that person is making reference to... HERE)
I will answer this question with a question: Have you tasted my coffee?
For those that have tried a cup or were racking up a tab with me know I make a mean cup of french pressed coffee (if you are ever at camp when I’m around, 3pm). I also whip up some espresso drinks that don’t appear on the menu, and willing to craft a espresso drink to your liking. As for a spiritual gift, I won’t say it is. But I can say that I have a palate for coffee.
A added thought here. When guest groups are in camp, helping them start their morning, or helping them warm up after being outside in the cold are great ways of making a connection. For just that short time, you can make someones day. Plus, we have seen how much a broken espresso machine can impact a conference season. 
Plus, during the summer, it can really help pick up the staff morale. I’ll discuss this at a later time. It is a tradition I feel we should carry on in future summers.



Well look at that. I've have taken up at least 5 minutes of your time that you can't get back. Hopefully it was worth it. I'm having a lot of fun answering these questions. There is so much I could post about. But I am limiting myself for the sake of you. As I said before, feel free to send questions. There is at least two more of these Q&As coming up. Again, thanks for the interest and the questions.

-Daryl

No comments:

Post a Comment